Brighton Races. Stanley George Janes

The paddock at Brighton race course, 1967.
Image reproduced with kind permission from Brighton and Hove in Pictures by Brighton and Hove City Council
Ted Janes private collection
Ted Janes private collection
Ted Janes private collection
Ted Janes private collection

When I joined Brighton Police in the late 1950’s I used to volunteer to work at Brighton races.

I have always been interested in horse racing and the betting.

About 10am about 120 police officers would gather at the racecourse ready for duty. We wore white helmets and white gloves. Our bosses could see us right down the course. There was trouble if they saw two white helmets together while racing was on. It used to be an 8 hour shift. – 10am to 6pm.

The racecourse had to pay our wages. The high numbers were only because of the ‘throw-back’ to these Gangs. There was nothing on that scale at these race meetings anymore, but there were always a lot of pickpockets roaming about though… Gradually over the years less and less policemen were employed at the course, mainly because of the cost to Racecourse lessees. Eventually that dropped down to about two officers and then none would be employed.

Stanley George Janes

Stanley George Janes was born on 25th December 1904 to Edmund and Sarah Janes (nee Larcome) had been married in New Southgate, Middlesex on 31st March 1898. He was the fourth child and the first son born to Edmund and Sarah. They were living at No. 14, Cowper Street, Luton (Edmund was a police officer in the Luton and Beds. Police Force. Later the family moved to No. 63, Langley Road, Luton. The family grew to seven children, 2 sons and 5 daughters. He was 20 years old when he joined the Police Force in Luton. He retired about 1927 when he took on the job of a court usher.

Stanley George Janes married Olive Lilian Gilbert on the 27th  November, 1926 at St.Paul’s church in Luton They had four children, two sons and two daughters. The eldest being Ted who was born in November 1927. Stanley joined Brighton Borough Police Force on the 4th of February 1925. The family lived at Hillside, Moulescombe; He retired on the 13trh April 1953 as a Detective Sergeant. He then worked at The Ocean Hotel in Saltdean in the Security department but his wife hankered to return to Luton and so they moved to Luton where Stanley had a job on security at Vauxhall Motors and he continued working there until 1969, when he was 65 years old.

He died as a result of cancer at the University College Hospital, in London aged 69. His wife, Olive, died in 1980, aged 75 years during an afternoon nap.

Meanwhile, Edmund’s brother, Fred, joined the police and rose through the ranks to retire in the rank of Superintendent. Another family member also joined the Police Force; uncle Ezra joined the Metropolitan Police in London. To top that Stanley’s Auntie Ruth married Frederick Smith who again was also a Luton police officer.

It was only natural that Stanley should have chosen to be a police officer too, having come from a ‘Police Family.’

A strange fact that emerges from this is that both Edmund Janes and Stanley both served under Charles Griffin, who was the Chief Constable of both the Luton and the Brighton Police Forces.

Special Thanks to Ted Janes

Researched and written by David Rowland.

Welcome to the Finsbury Publishing

David Rowland has just launched his 15th and final book, “The Spirit of Winsome Winn II”, all about the B-17 Flying Fortress which crashed at Patcham after being hit by anti-aircraft fire over Germany

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *