Brighton and Hove Herald 1943

Brighton Herald office
KCD 810, a late-1949 10cwt PC van in the livery of the Brighton and Hove Herald newspaper, of Pavilion Gardens, Brighton.
Brighton General Hospital stands at the top of Elm Grove at the Queen's Park Road junction and was originally a workhouse.
The wartime loaf was made of wholemeal flour and was very healthy.As less wheat could be imported, more flour was extracted from what grain there was. This method provided a wholemeal loaf, high in vitamin B1, but different from the white bread people were used to.

Brighton and Hove Herald of 1943.

At a court hearing in Brighton at the end of December 1942, Frederick Herbert Parry pleaded guilty to ‘Wilfully setting fire to a chimney,’ at his home at No. 15 Thornhill Avenue, Patcham. Mr. Parry said,” I agree it was a foolish thing.”

Superintendent Gerry Crouch, deputy Chief Constable, said that clouds of smoke and lighted paper were issuing from the top of the chimney and it was this that attracted the notice of a constable.

The Magistrates fined Mr. Parry the sum of ten shillings (10/-)

A Fatal Traffic accident in Brighton in January 1943. 

Brian Edwin John Latham, aged 7 years of Freshfield Road, Brighton stepped into the roadway in Freshfield  Road near its junction with Manor Hill and was knocked down by a bus travelling southwards from the Race Hill on Thursday 7th January 1943.

A Royal Marine private, Barry Thorogood, ran from a nearby house, whipped off his tunic and crawled under the bus to where the boy was laying and pulled him out. An army ‘jeep’ car took the injured boy, accompanied by the Marine, to the Brighton Municipal Hospital in Elm Grove. The boy, Latham, was suffering with an injury to his right leg and severe shock.

At the Inquest held at Brighton a statement made by the Marine was read out as the Marine was engaged on active service.

The Bus driver, Frederick Charles Brown, of Queen’s Park Rise, Brighton stated that the boy suddenly appeared in front of his bus and appeared to be playing with a hoop and stick. He pulled up so suddenly that his conductor was thrown to the floor.

Doctor Firth, from the hospital said that Brian Latham was found to have an extensive injury to his right leg and suffered severe shock. Three days later it was found that the wound had become infected and gangrene was spreading. On the same afternoon an amputation was performed in an effort to save the boy’s life, but he died.

Death was due to Toxaemia, resulting from the infection of the wound.

The Coroner, Mr. Charles Webb, in recording a verdict of Accidental Death, expressed sympathy with the boy’s father, Mr. George Albert Latham, now serving in the Army.

Feeding the Birds

On Monday 8th March 1943, Annie Hooper of Pool Valley was summoned at Brighton Court for feeding bread to the seagulls and pleaded ‘Not Guilty.’

She said, “As a Christian Lady I was feeding the hungry birds, it was only from a 2d stale loaf, 5 days old and very dry.”

Prosecuting, Mr. Raymond Barry, for the Brighton Food Control Committee said that Miss Hooper had cut a slice from the loaf and was throwing small pieces to the seagulls. A constable said to her, “What are you doing wasting good bread in wartime.” She replied, “I have been doing it for years, and it’s stale bread anyway.”

Mr. Barry said, “A few small fragments of bread may seem trivial, – but if this was done by everybody, it would then make a serious difference.”

Miss Hooper said that she was awfully sorry but she had erred quite in ignorance and promised not to do it again.

She was fined £1.


No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *