Sussex Police Photo Archive 1930
The junction of West Street and Kings Road, around 1930. Traffic duty at this spot would be slightly more hectic today. In 1927, Brighton had been the first town to control traffic using semaphore signals. Electrically operated signal arms displayed the word “STOP” and were automatically illuminated at night. The system was controlled by a Constable in a central stand.