Sussex Police Photo Archive 1956
It is evident that the number of motorcyclists in the Force had increased dramatically when the new fleet of BSA motorcycles was delivered in 1956.
Mechanisation had first come to the Force in 1904, when the first motor vehicle was purchased at a cost of £350 from the Wolseley Tool & Motor Car Company.
Chief Inspector Ellis poses beside a new Bedford Dormobile police van equipped to act as a mobile Police Station and radio unit. Sergeant Arthur Scotcher is sitting in the van manning the generator, emergency lighting and extending radio aerial