Sussex Police Photo Archive 1845
The first Chief Constable of East Sussex, Lieutenant Colonel Henry Fowler Mackay of the 6th Inniskilling Dragoons. CC Fowler McKay initially used the Lewes office of Mr Kell, Solicitor to the Justices in Quarter Sessions, to conduct his business. The fire engine and new Constabulary were housed in the yard of the old Star Inn. From 1841 until 1846 the Force HQ was in Uckfield, and in 1842 the first Lewes Police Station was built in Lancaster Street and was occupied by a Superintendent. Later this was used as an office by the Chief Constable, his move back to Lewes in 1846 prompted by the new railway line from Brighton.